by Dr. Frederic Fay Swift and subsequently organized to
"Improve the quality of living for citizens
of the Greater Oneonta area."
The Foundation's purposes, as stated in the By-laws, are to:
- Promote improvement of the quality of living and the general welfare of the community and the citizens of Greater Oneonta;
- Stimulate interest in the civic affairs of the community;
- Support the cultural and civic needs of the community; and
- Solicit donations from the public so as to accumulate sufficient funds to support the purposes of the Corporation.
FOF In Action:
Since its formation in 1982, FOF has provided more than $400,000 in program support to area agencies and civic, cultural, and educational projects. Some of these include:
- Publishing a periodical, "Pride in Oneonta," on a regular basis.
- Supporting publications of brochures on the Oneonta area.
- Awarding scholarships to high school graduates.
- Hosting an annual luncheon for business, educational, professional, cultural and governmental leaders.
- The Foundation received its charter in the spring of 1982 and its 501(c)3 rating from the Internal Revenue Service in December 1982. Gifts and contributions made to the Foundation are tax deductible.
How the Foundation Operates:
The Foundation is a legally created corporation authorized to receive gifts, trusts, property or money for investment through its fiscal agent, the Community Bank, Oneonta, and to authorize expenditures for designated purposes or perpetuate the grants and gifts as the donor or grantor shall specify.
Funds Managed by FOF:
1. General funds, which are not given for any specific project.
2. Funds given for specific purposes or projects.
- Sarah Patterson,Chair
- Diane Aaronson, Vice Chair
- Dave Brenner, Secretary
- Benjamin C. Nesbitt, Treasurer
- Ryan Brooks
- Dr. Diane Georgeson
- Susan R. Hughson
- Dick Miller
- Kim Muller
- Geoffrey Smith
- Carol Mahon, Executive Manager
Directors in Memoriam:
- Eugene Bettitol, Jr.
- Harold deGraw
- Paul Donowick
- D.K. Lifgren
- Paul B. Salisbury
- Robert E. Whittemore
- W. Clyde Wright
- Sidney Levine
- James Piscitelli
- Gordon B. Roberts
- Lloyd F. Baker
- Maggie Barnes
- Robert C. Benson
- William K. Davis
- Vince Foti
- James N. Georgeson
- Michael F. Getman
- William E. Lewis
- Joan F. Moyer
- Albert S. Nader
- William R. Pirone
- Steven Zimniewicz